Who can claim Life Insurance or Death Benefits?

Life Insurance or Death Benefits can be claimed by any dependants of the deceased. Dependents include a legally married spouse, de facto partner (including same sex partners), children, legal personal representative of the deceased’s Estate (executor or administrator), financial dependants and inter-dependants.
Death benefits can also be claimed by the policy holder prior to them passing if two doctors certify that the person has less than two years to live. This is known as a terminal illness claim.

Can I have multiple TPD claims?

Yes, you can have multiple Total & Permanent Disability (TPD) claims as long as each of your current funds is independent from the other.

Do I have Income Protection insurance?

Many employees are covered for Income Protection or Total & Temporary Disablement (TTD) through their employers, employment superannuation, or industry organisations. Self-employed people often have private income protection. Your benefit statement will list if you have any income protection insurance.

What is Total & Temporary Disability (TTD)?

If you are temporarily unable to work due to a disability or illness you may receive benefits for Total and Temporary Disability (TTD) or Income Protection. This is essentially the same as TPD, the only difference being that it is not permanent. Under this type of scheme, you can receive insurance payments for the period that you are unable to work.

In some cases where you have returned to work but are earning less, income protection will top up your earnings. These agreements usually run for up to two (2) years, but can vary from fund to fund. Some can be paid to age 65 and some even to age 99.

Is my nomination for Life Insurance or Death Benefits binding?

Nomination for a binding Life Insurance or Death Benefits must be followed by the Super Fund provided the nomination remains current and valid at the time of death. Some binding nominations can be disputed. For example an ex-wife who met the definition at the time of the nomination when married to the member may not meet the definition after a divorce or separation.

It is important to refresh the binding nomination every 3 years or it will no longer be valid.

What forms do I need to lodge for my super claim?

It’s always best to make a Superannuation claim as soon as possible especially as time limits may apply in some circumstances. The papers you should lodge with your claim will vary depending on what you are claiming, but generally they will include the claim form from your super company and evidence such as doctors’ certificates.

Contact Super Claims Australia on 13 43 63 and we can step you through the process.

Am I covered for Disability Insurance?

Most employment super funds include Disability Insurance lump sums for Total & Permanent Disability (TPD), pensions for Temporary Disability or both. This will be printed on the Superannuation annual benefit Statement you receive from your super fund.

What is a Superannuation?

Superannuation is the money paid into your super fund by you or your employer at least every 3 months.

There is now also a general super product called ‘My Super’ which is offered to employees since 2012. If you do not select a specific type of investment, your super policy will be defaulted to “My Super’. Read more about Superannuation here.

What is Total & Permanent Disability (TPD)?

Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) is an insurance benefit attached to most Super Funds. It is paid on top of any super you receive early as a result of mental or physical incapacity that prevents you from working permanently.

Do I have a claim?

If you have lost your income or ability to work through illness, disability or a loved one’s passing, you may have a claim. You should enlist legal help as soon as possible to ensure you receive what you are entitled to.

  • I have read the Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.